Sunday, February 7, 2010

Why do you get ridges in your fingernail as you get older?

My mom and grandma both have deep ridges in their fingernails now that they are older. I am 32 and have noticed tiny ridges starting in mine to. Anyone know why this is and if there is anything I can do to prevent it further?Why do you get ridges in your fingernail as you get older?
I've had ridges on my fingernails since I was a teenager. Someone told me once that it's a sign of anemia. But I've been tested, and I'm not anemic. Maybe it's a vitamin deficiency of some sort? I know I've never liked milk, so I'm pretty sure I've never had enough calcium in my diet.Why do you get ridges in your fingernail as you get older?
Vertical nail ridges are fairly common and often become more numerous as you age. The exact cause of such ridging isn't known, heredity may play a role.





If your fingernails change color or develop horizontal ridges, see your doctor. These changes may indicate underlying health problems, such as respiratory disease, malnutrition or even heart attack.
Ridges in the fingernails is most likely a dificiency of B-Complex. Stress, medications, sugars and alcohol all rob the body of B vitamins. It's important to take the B vitamins in a complex and all brands are not the same.





Hope this is helpful and feel free to contact me with questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment