Thursday, February 11, 2010

The fracture zones that offset portions of mid-ocean ridges are examples of what type of boundary?

convergent?


transform?


divergent?


or collision?The fracture zones that offset portions of mid-ocean ridges are examples of what type of boundary?
divergent is the answer you seek.





NOTE: My sincere apology for the wrong answer. I try to always be accurate to a fault. I see the question commingles concepts that weren't in vogue when I was in school. Fracture zones aren't technically faults and there are ';transform'; faults and transform plate boundaries but not fracture zone boundaries- in my dated experience. Lately it has become vogue to call them ';faults'; however, my bad.





I am used to only discussing boundaries as formally defined activity at the plate margin. I could not think of a transform boundary at the mid-oceanic ridge and mistook the correct answer as a ';foil'; designed to make one understand that the mid-oceanic ridge is a divergent boundary and not a transform boundary like the San Andreas Fault. I just blew reading the question correctly. Once again very sorry and If I had caught the other answer I would have reviewed it objectively and edited my answer. Thank you Sally for the right answer.The fracture zones that offset portions of mid-ocean ridges are examples of what type of boundary?
transform boundaries, mid oceanic ridges themselves are a type divergent boundary, but the created material does not form uniformly along the ridge. This change causes fractures in the created material. These new segments move past one another, which is also known as transform boundary.

No comments:

Post a Comment