Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Why do food tin cans have the corragated ridges in them?

you know the ridges i'm talking about. about 5/8ths of the can has corragated ridges... been keeping me awake at nights.Why do food tin cans have the corragated ridges in them?
The corrugation increases the can's rigidity and form without adding more material. The rings create a set of ribs, if you will, for the can giving it better resistance to pressure from the sides.Why do food tin cans have the corragated ridges in them?
I'm guessing that this is to allow the can to expand. Therefore, if the temperature increases and therefore the contents expand, then the can won't burst.
In the immortal words of my grandma--Because that's the way it is.
Excellent question. But I havent' got an answer. I go for the expansion theory thou.

No comments:

Post a Comment