Friday, February 5, 2010

What causes fingernails to develop 'ridges and valleys'?

One thumb nail looks like it has a deep valley running across it (it's growing out). Some of the others look like they're too low in the moon area. I tend to pick my cuticles and maybe I did some damage by scraping near the matrix, but I'm wondering about deficiencies, side effects of medicine, etc. Do you have, or have you seen this problem?What causes fingernails to develop 'ridges and valleys'?
I've heard a few things about that:


1. could be an injury; did you injure/bump it in some way? Is this ongoing. If you stop picking at it, will it go away?


2. Vitamin deficiencies. Are you low on iron or other vitamins. Go to your yearly physicals to rule those things out and always take at LEAST a multivitamin daily. B complex vitamins (mainly biotin) are for hair/skin/nails. Get a bottle!


3. Are they moisturized? Get some nail cuticle oil. No you don't need to spend a lot of money, but you can try rubbing jojoba oil into your cuticles and nail area every day.


4. A disease, have you ruled that out? Thyroid disease; I've noticed others with thyroid problems describe this. Diabetes, maybe, too. Like I said before get your regular yearly check ups and if you suspect thyroid or diabetes, get checked for those, too.





Good luck!What causes fingernails to develop 'ridges and valleys'?
I have read about this a few months ago. These ridges are associated with health issues or vitamin deficiencies. Analyze your diet and see if you're missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment